Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Revlon

Good morning! I'm caffeinating myself and working on swatching my collection. I'm also debating a payday trip to Sally, but it's COLD outside! If I were more prudent, I would tell myself I couldn't buy any new polish until I've swatched everything I already have, but I'm not that prudent. Still, it's COLD outside!

My cuticles on my middle finger and on my thumb on my left hand are messed up. I would try to swatch and photograph my right hand, but I'm right handed and yeah... Anywho, I'm just trying to keep the polishes off of my cuticles for right now and I'll do some damage control later on.

I decided to start this morning with Revlon, since I hate them so much. There is one Revlon color in my collection that I've owned for several years now (perfunctory googling tells me it was released in 2003... jeez) and I adore it. I think, though, I may have stumbled upon the secret of getting good consistency out of your Revlon polishes. Two of the polishes I swatched I distinctly remembered as having crappy formula -- runny, wouldn't cover the nail, left sheer spots. But they were fine today. They were also older, a little bit thicker, and had some gunk around the neck. Maybe these polishes just need to be aged, like a fine wine. Or like a mediocre drugstore wine. :)

I'm going to start with one of the worst nail polishes I own, hands down. It's also the newest Revlon I own, and the formula is runny, and leaves sheer spots. It also never, ever dries. It's Revlon White on White. I was looking for a good white, not to do tips, but to use as a base for layering sheerer colors on top. This is NOT a good white.
003

This is Revlon Iced Mauve. Yeah. Shimmery pink, how boring. I can't really complain about this formula, but I do know that the last time I wore it, it peeled off within a day. Yech.
004

Revlon Sweet Nothings in Rendez-Blue. This is obviously a sheer. That's four coats in the photograph. I don't really "do" sheers, but this looks really cool layered on top of a darker color. It's sort of a blue/pink/silver duochromatic sheer. It's alright. :)
009

Revlon Vixen. I distinctly remembered this having the same type of formula as White on White. I generally LOVE vampy reds like this, but hardly ever wore this one because it was so tricky to apply. Much to my surprise, when I went to swatch it today, it applied beautifully and was opaque in two coats. I may be wearing this one more often. Or it could just be thickened because it's so freaking cold here... but it's not cold in my apartment, and it isn't as if I store this outside. So who knows.
012

Revlon Mystical. This is it, the one Revlon color I adore. Shimmery royal blue/purple with a bit of a duochromatic effect. You can see the purple in the bottle much better than you can on the nail. On my nails, it's more of an electric royal blue in direct sunlight. In low light, you can see the purple a bit more. You can sort of see the purple here on my pinky nail. You can also see that I got this at CVS for 47 cents! LOL. I have no idea how long ago that was, but I'm guessing 2003 or 2004. I've long had a thing for blues, purples, and duochromes. :)
014

Here it is, blurry and indoors.
018

No comments:

Post a Comment